Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cooking Tips

You know, every group of friends, has to have a great cook. I'm definitely not that person. Just ask my college professors. Or my husband. :)

In our group, it's definitely Lola! I tell you, there is a reason, that all the guys in the band, were in love with her. Girl had to think on her feet. And set up, all but 4 of the guys, when she first joined the band. Thank you again Lols! That's how I met Greg.

But back to cooking. I know that the band misses her. Lola moved almost 4 years ago. Across the country!! Those rehearsal nights, or poker nights, were always filled with yummy food. For the guys at least. Woman can cook up a flipping feast!! With almost nothing. And no time.

I know the guys miss Lola. They never turn down a gig in NC. Never!! Because they get spoiled with yummy food! I probably should have taken advantage of my friend's cooking skills, years ago!! But I didn't. :(

Never fear. This past weekend, we went over to Lola and Guy's house. They may have just moved in. Have almost no furniture. But they had food!! Yummy food!! Lots of it. My favorite was definitely the chicken. Darn it was good!! My mouth is watering, just thinking about it. :)

While I had my friend nearby, I asked her how she made it. Her secret? A little seasoning, slow cooking, and a little grilling. Oh boy!! I'm excited to try her method out.



First off, Lola buys chicken at the meat market. Fresh. All different pieces....breasts, legs, thighs, etc. She takes it home, and pats it dry. Then she gets a big bowl, and sets it in. The chicken that she made today, she seasoned it with McCormick's Chicken Seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and added some EVOO. She sets it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then she takes it out, let's the chill come off, and sticks it in the oven. At 250 degrees, for 90 minutes. Or until cooked.

Lola does all this the day before. Then lets it cool. And refrigerates. The next day, before serving, she takes it out of the fridge. Then places it on a medium high, heated grill. Grills until the chicken is hot and has pretty grill marks. Yum! Can we say, melt in your mouth?

The other version I LOVE, is her chicken breasts. I remember these well. When we'd have lunch together. Lola would make a delicious salad. Then would put a chicken breast, all sliced, on top!! Yum!!

But she didn't stop there. I once asked my friend, with the crazy schedule, how she cooks almost every night. You know what she told me, she bakes 6 or 8 chicken breasts, once a week. That way, she can eat that night. Usually with some pasta or potatoes, and some veggies. Then later in the week, she'll use the chicken to make tacos or enchiladas. And then use it in some sort of casserole. Yum! And that is an awesome tip!!

How does she make these? First you buy skinless, boneless chicken breasts. When you get home, pat dry. Salt and pepper them. Place them in a large Ziploc bag. And add enough Italian salad dressing, to marinate. Leave in the refrigerator a few hours.



Then you take them out, and place them in a casserole dish, with a rack. Bake covered at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, or until done. If Lola is using them for dinner right away, she'll usually take 2 out and brown them, in a skillet with EVOO, for a few minutes. Just to make them a little crunchy. You could even throw them on the outdoor grill.

I feel like this is all common sense stuff. I should have known years ago. But I didn't. And I had to ask my friend. Who is always happy to help. :) Not only that, but girl is a serious master in the kitchen. I wonder if she'll give me a few cooking lessons....

Anyway that you spin this, Lola has helped me out. I'm sure Greg is going to be happy too! He won't have to eat dried out, or even burnt chicken anymore. That's a good thing! Thanks Lols!! ☼

No comments: